Friday, June 24, 2005

Exciting News.....

Hello world and good evening....I have exciting news, front page headlines - curious yet ??

Still curious??

Are you on the edge of your seat ??

Are you ready ??

Are you sure ??

Well here it is...My mother is the reigning Texas Hold'em champion of a series of tournaments held for many seniors each week here in Georgia. My mom is the poker celebrity of the Riverdale Senior Center.

I'm sure you want some background information so let me give you a little bit of history. First things first before moving here to Georgia in 1987 we lived in Los Angeles, California. At that time my uncle's job at Western Airlines which he still has was consumed in a merger with the then expanding Delta Air Lines. Before that, my mother's family played poker in the South Central district of Los Angeles. For my mother's family playing cards was a way for everybody to get together. Families and friends would move from house to house to socialize over a laid-back card game.

Of course when my mother's family decided to leave behind their regular games in neighbors' kitchens and living rooms, my mother decided we would move here to Georgia where most people WEREN'T too excited by the game. But after all was said and done a deck of cards, a package of plastic chips and poker's recent media craze completely turned that around. Then my mother and my aunt decided that they would ask one of the Riverdale Senior Center's Program Directors if they could start a regular poker game.Once the center put up a plaque for the poker title, the game took off which was reported by one of the center's program directors. After that the rest is history...

Until today that is.

Last but not least my mom made headlines in the Clayton News Daily Newspaper isn't that something ?? Finally I know a real celebrity and she's my mom....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well done to your celebrity mum!  :-)

Sandra xxx

Anonymous said...

Very well done to your Mum!