Sunday, October 8, 2006

Enter At Your Own Risk !!

Good evening dear world....

"There is something haunting in the light of the moon, it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of it's inconceivable mystery." - Joseph Conrad

So dear world how are you tonight ? Since its almost Halloween and those ghosts and goblins are drawing near I have been doing some reading. I came upon some novels I haven't read in a while.......Franz Kafka's "The Metamorphosis" and Robert Louis Stevenson's "Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde".

For those of you who might not have read those novels here's a little bit of background on the novels that might get you in the mood for Halloween as well. In The Metamorphosis the young man in the novel Gregor Samsa awakes one morning from some rather unsettling dreams and finds himself changed into a rather large insect. In the novel Gregor comes to find that his family can no longer see him as a human but as the insect he has become. In the end I found that Gregor's family had become disgusted by him. Can you imagine dear world waking up one morning and finding that you've changed into some insect ?

The other book I read was Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. In the novel the scientist Dr. Jekyll drinks a concoction he made which transforms him into the very monstrously evil Mr. Hyde. When Dr. Jekyll goes back to drinking the concoction he changes back into himself. Later on when Dr. Jekyll changes from himself into Mr. Hyde he has gone and trampled with a frenzied appetite on a little girl. Dr. Jekyll finds out about it when he goes back to himself when he drinks the concoction once more. In my opinion I think that Mr. Hyde was already a part of Dr. Jekyll he just used the drink as an excuse and as a way to deny how evil of a person he really is. I wonder what inspired Robert Louis Stevenson to write such a novel as Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde ? What do you think dear world ?

Are you in the mood for Halloween yet ? By the way what do you do for Halloween my dear friends ? I really hope that this inspired you for the occasion.You might also want to check out the journal "Moonlight Drive" it is filled with all sorts of spookiness and haunting information ------> here is a link that might just give you goosebumps... http://journals.aol.com/alphamoon65/MoonlightDrive/ .

Sleep tight everyone. Sweet Dreams.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello there!  I just saw your journal and was stopping by to say hi.  I like the way you start each entry with Dear World......it is a Dear world out there....at least most of it really is!   Hope you enjoy your journaling.  Take care.
Maria

Anonymous said...

Hi Monae,
I can't wait until Halloween, I've already bought 100 popcorn balls to give out!  Every year for the last 4 or 5 years, my husband and I wear identical bright Orange Pumpkin Faced t-Shirts w/ jeans... and Yes, this is the only time of year where we wear the same outfits, but it makes for going to his yearly halloween parties at work easy on me, cuz then I don't have to fuss about a costume!  ;o)
Diane.