Tuesday, September 5, 2006

The Makings Of A Tamale......

Hello Dear World !!!!!!!

How are you this evening ? First things first.......My mom and I started work on a project that I was going to tell you about last night but I decided to tell you this evening. For the last couple of days my mom and I have been talking about making Tamale's. What are tamale's well......Tamale's are a traditional Mexican dish of fried chopped meat and crushed peppers, wrapped in cornmeal dough and cornhusks and steamed. The project or should I say meal began last night when I chopped up an entire chicken that was taken off the bone by my mom. I had to chop up the pieces of chicken until it was cut to fine tiny bits and let me tell you its NOT an easy thing to do. To make a tamale there is quite a lot of work involved. Those who make tamale's for a living have talent because its quite a thing. Here is a site you might want to check out for making tamale's -------> http://www.sonofthesouth.net/tamales/ .

Anyway......early this evening I prepared what's known as Masa dough which eventually turns into a peanut butter like mixture. We also soaked the corn husks until they were soft. Once the corn husks were throughly soaked in warm water we filled the corn husks with the Masa dough and wrapped them. After all of that we put them in a big pot to be steamed which you have to know takes 2 hours. The smell of the tamale's is oooooh wonderful !!!!!! I can't wait to take a bite of the tamale's once their done cooking. To make the Masa dough you might want to know that you will learn that the dough is better mixed by hand which is rather sticky to the hands. Before you put the Masa dough into the corn husks you have to dry the husks which have been sitting in warm water. It takes a while to fill the husks and wrap them and get them into the pot. Its probably not suggested that you make tamale's every day because its a really long process which I have learned. Don't get me wrong it was really fun making the tamale's and it was really fun going out to get the ingredients because I learned a lot along the way about doing something I have never done before. I just can't wait to sit down and take a bite of what I helped to prepare. I can't say that I'm a cook but I can say that I did pretty good for my first time making tamale's. Have you ever eaten a tamale ? And what did you think of it ? I wouldn't mind making them again it was fun but who knows what my next project will be you just never know.

In other news the weather here was really nice throughout most of the day. I did have to go into work today but it is nice to go to work and talk to the people at my work. My job keeps me busy but the people are nice. After I got off of work it did decide to rain but it didn't last long. Once I got home you could tell that it didn't rain over in my neighborhood. Of course I  am happy to report that my favorite medical drama "House" came back on tonight. Check it out here ------> http://www.fox.com/house/ . I love watching House and Bones they are (2) of my favorite shows. Did you have a favorite television show ? All in all it was a pretty wonderful day.

By the way......One of my dear friends who keeps the journal "Coastal Comfort" alerted me to something that I thought I would share with you. The ACLU wants to do away with the Christmas holiday. She said that we should all send the ACLU a Christmas card saying "Merry Christmas!!!" on the card to show that we don't support their movement. If you would like to send the ACLU a Christmas card here is their address:

ACLU

125 Broad Street

18th Floor New York, NY 1004

so dear world how was your day ? Anything new I should know ? I hope that your day tomorrow will be great for you. Of course I will talk to you my dear world tomorrow. I shall return with something new to tell you. Have a good evening my dear friends.....

Take care.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I too like Tamales, but haven't been able to find a restaurant out here in Vegas that serves them with "authentic" style and taste... the last time I had a really good one was about 10 years ago when my college roommate's mother made some for us.  And like yours, they were homemade... and they were the best tastin things ever!  Hope you enjoyed yours!... About the ACLU wanting to do away with Christmas, they must be really bored now adays!  LOL
Your Friend,
Diane

Anonymous said...

I LOVE Tamale's!!!!!  I think I have been eating them all my life.  The ACLU is also going after the Boy Scouts.  If it were not for the churches, there would not be any sponsers for the Scouts. They are no longer in any schools or any military installation.  I will definately be sending them a Christmas card or two.
Smiles,
David