Friday, August 24, 2007

Quite A Day.....

Hello dear world

How are you ? It was quite a day for me at the courthouse but first things first. Let me tell you about my day yesterday. Yesterday it was a day of deliberation for me and the other jurors but I'll talk about that later.

Anywho...yesterday my dad celebrated turning "60" years old. He wanted to celebrate his birthday at Chuck 'E' Cheese's because he let my youngest niece pick the place. It was fun going there. We ate some pizza, we all played some games and my nieces got some little rewards from the tickets we all got from playing games there.

Anywho....later on on our way home it started thundering and lightning and then once we got home it started raining. I kept wondering if the rain would cool off some of this heat we have been having in Georgia but apparently not and I will tell you why.

Well my dear world its now time to report that the case is officially over and I am no longer a Juror. I can now feel free to talk about the case. The trial I was on was filled with pure absolute craziness. The case revolved around a guy named Andrew Cooper and his girlfriend named Ms. King. Anywho...Andrew was a general manager of a Wendy's where he lived and it came to light that he had put his girlfriend on the payroll even though she had never worked there. It also came to light that he was stealing from the company and she was endorsing many of the checks that was coming from the money they stole from the company. The trial was going on and at the very end new evidence came up and the attorney's never addressed the new evidence that came up. The girlfriend Ms. King was never put on the stand so we couldn't hear from her or why things came up about the checks she helped Andrew endorse and how they were able to steal the money.

The sad part is I had to help the jurors with a verdict of NOT GUILTY because the state did not give us enough evidence to prove what the state said about the charges. At the end all we had were the checks and the rest of the evidence wasn't there to prove all that happened. I really didn't know what to do but to say NOT GUILTY because the evidence wasn't there to help me. There was another male juror there with us that was holding out because he too felt like they defendants were guilty but the checks alone couldn't stand for the charges they were being tried for. In the end we had to walk into the courtroom and say the words "NOT GUILTY". I really hated the fact that I couldn't do anything but say not guilty since I didn't have the evidence I needed. The state did not prove the case of the charges of the Rico Act. It was 1 count and 32 acts of racketeering which they were being charged with. It was really hard for me to walk into the courtroom and say "NOT GUILTY" even though in my gut I know they were guilty of the crime. I did have the checks in the jury room but I couldn't just use that to say that they were guilty.

My dear world the whole process of being a juror is a lot harder than I thought it was going to be. Its a lot harder behind closed doors to say GUILTY or NOT GUILTY when you don't have the evidence to prove how you feel. We didn't have the evidence and that was quite a shame. Its a shame that we had to walk in the courtroom and let two guilty individuals walk when we all knew they were GUILTY from the beginning.

After I left the courtroom I did go talk to the guy in the District Attorney's office about how I was one of the holdouts and how I felt that things could have been different. He did ask me how I felt about the trial and what I would have needed to make a decision. I really felt bad about the whole situation but he said that I shouldn't feel bad it was just what happened.

Today was a HARD day for me

Enough about that how are you doing my dear world ? How was your day ? I hope you didn't have a day like mine. I hope that I never have to be a juror again for a very long long time. What's going on in your neck of the woods ?

That's about it for now because I have kept you long enough. I hope you get to enjoy the rest of your day.

Take care everyone !!!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was on a jury once...but then they plea bargained because it was so OBVIOUS the guy was guilty. So we were dismissed.
Have a good weekend.
Pam

Anonymous said...

I'm laughing about a 60 year old man celebrating at Chuck E. Cheese!  LOL  Sounds like you should have been the foreman of this jury.  If the evidence wasn't there you cannot convict whether you think he is guilty or not.  You did the right thing and now you have had a lesson in the justice system from the inside of a case.  Take care and have a good weekend.

Phil

Anonymous said...

I think you've hit the nail on the head in that case, Monae. You've done well, and by law, a person can only be convicted if guilt is proven beyond reasonable doubt.

Anonymous said...

You did the only thing you could under the circumstances. don't feel bad about it. If the evidence wasn't there you couldn't convict.
B. x

Anonymous said...

I have to tell you that my experience of jury duty was NOT a pleasant one.  First of all I had to leave my home at 5 o'clock in the morning just to be able to make it there by 8am and then when I finally got there there was a lot of waiting around.  Then we had to wait around all day while they picked jurors.  I believe I was 2 juror away from being picked - thank goodness - because I did NOT want to have to go back to the courthouse again.

Unfortunately in my area, you get called for jury duty every three years so I will have to check and see when I'm due for another jury duty call!


Rose

Anonymous said...

It sounds like it was a tough call. I'm sure you're glad it's over.
The one time I was on a jury, we listened to the whole trial and then they settled at the last minute. We never even got to deliberate.
The heat IS rough here....I keep waiting for the thunderstorms to cool things off but they never quite make it.
Glad dad had a happy birthday.
I can honestly say I have never set foot inside a Chuck E. Cheese.
Good night..can't wait to hear more from your interesting world.

                                     Sunny

Anonymous said...

Happy belated birthday to your dad!  I've never actually been on a jury.  Was your experience a good one?  Did you learn a lot?  Sad that people you know are in the wrong can get away with things, but if the evidence wasn't there.  Have a fun weekend.

Allison