Saturday, August 25, 2007

The Power At My House Went Out......

Hello dear world

First of all how are you ? I wanted to tell you about my evening last night. Earlier in the evening the sky started to fill with lots of loud thunder and quite a bit of lightning and then the sky opened up and then the rain came and it came hard and by the bucketful.

Anywho....my folks and I and my niece Megan were going to go eat but the rain turned into a deluge. We then decided to go pick up my niece Jeanette because there was supposed to be a game at her old school Our Lady Of Mercy that she wanted to go to. Since it was raining bad the game was cancelled so we decided to go pick her up and then we went to a place called the "City Buffet" to eat dinner. Let me tell you they have the best food in the world. They have the best chinese noodles, sugar biscuits and do you know that they had frog legs there. I went to the buffet and put a frog leg on my plate and I was going to try it but when I got to the table I chickened out I couldn't eat it.

Later on our way home we turned the corner we noticed that our street had no power and we got to our house and guess what ?? Our power was out due to the storm. Our power was out for about an hour. We were all over the house trying to light candles and finding flashlights and my nieces were going to sleep on a big blanket of mine in the front room but then low and behold the power clicked back on. It was quite a night.

I do have to tell you that for some reason I can't stop thinking about the case. Frpm the very beginning my vote was guilty but because it was explained to me there wasn't enough evidence to convict all we could make a verdict of is "NOT GUILTY".

Our foreman of the jury read our verdict. After the verdict was read the judge asked the D.A. if he wanted us to be polled on our verdict which he did. After it was all over I immediately felt that I had made a mistake. Earlier in the day we had written the judge saying we were helplessly deadlocked. He then had us return to the courtroom where he told us that we would have to come to an agreement.

In the end we camedown to a NOT GUILTY verdict. I still feel that my NOT GUILTY verdict was a mistake and I wish I could take it back. The thing is a lot of the evidence was missing and the case presented by the D.A. presented could have been better. Of course the Detective who went to one of the defendants home and talked to the female defendant he stated on the stand that he did not make a written report of his questioning the female defendant. There was also a lot he could not remember on the stand.

In the end it came to me and the other jurors and deciding the case. I'm feeling horrible for the verdict we came up with. I feel like the two defendants should be in jail. I hate that its NO longer in my hands and there's absolutely nothing I can do about it. I FEEL PRETTY CRUMMY ABOUT THE WHOLE THING.

So my dear world what do you think ?? I just wanted to share that with you.

I do hope you get to enjoy your day.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You did the right thing in regard to that case.  The prosecution's case was full of holes and missing information.  Maybe the guy really didn't do what they said and a lot of it was made up.  Who knows, but you have to be able to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that they are guilty and if the police did a bad job then you cannot reward them.  Rest assured you did the correct thing.

Allison

Anonymous said...

Monae,  you must'nt worry any more about the verdict  It is all over now and nothing can change.  It wasn't only you who made the decision...If we have faith it won't matter if they get away with it in this world they will have to pay in the next.  It must have been a big storm to put all your lights out. Hope that it might get a bit cooler for you now.  Love Sybil

Anonymous said...

Monae,
Stop worrying about the verdict. As I said yesterday, you made the right decision - a conviction has to be beyond reasonable doubt. If there was doubt, you cannot find somebody guilty. Period. Hey, hope you don't suffer any more powercuts!

Anonymous said...

Hmm... for some reason I come to think about the movie "Seriel Mom", where Kathleen Turner makes a lovely, though violent role.

Lars

Anonymous said...

Your verdict was the proper one whether you like the outcome or not.  You followed the guidelines set for you by the court and you had only one conclusion you could possibly come to unless you rebuffed what the judge told you.  So don't worry about it.  Have a good Sunday.

Phil