Monday, February 12, 2007

The Beauty of Paper

Hello dear world

How are you ? This entry was inspired by Charley of "Courage" and Rebecca of "In The Shadow Of The Iris".

Charley @ Courage commented in Rebecca's journal with this comment: "This might seem pedantic, but what type of notebook do you use ? I myself have two that I carry with me, and I'm wondering which kind do you use and why you use it as opposed to another."

Well I'll tell you what Charley and Rebecca, I'll answer that question today here in my journal,complete with introspective ramblings. I'm sure many of you would say that its high time that I share a meaningful well thoughtout entry with you so here it is....

I too covet fine paper goods like an antiquarian collects rare books. If I'm going to take the time to place my words in something I want it to be placed within the hands of another human being so I want it to be a written record of me and my life.

For me there are two writing categories in which my notebooks fall, but one prevailing condition, stipulation and habit is lines, more lines and even more lines and yes more lines. I am of the College-ruled mentality. Lines,more lines and more lines and then even more lines mantra. 

I feel about the same passion about no blue pens allowed as well as green, red, orange, pink, purple etc,etc,etc,etc. Back to what I was saying.

Collections: There are notebooks I stick under my bed like a woman would with her most prized jewels. Or like a young child would with a few bars of chocolate he/she hides from their parent. My 100% preferred notebook is purchased at Hobby Lobby. They are hard bound, blue, wire spine and rich blue and brown blank paper with embellishments on the side of the paper. These books are ideal for sporadic ramblings, poems, quotes, letters written never to be sent or secret embarrassing thoughts. At Hobby Lobby you can purchase them in all shapes, sizes and colors and I definitely couldn't live without them.

Since my handwriting is what you might call disorderly. When I have a notebook filled with lines I feel as if my writing won't go running all down, over and across the page. I don't do well without lines. My writing without lines would be like a tennis player playing without a net or a golfer playing without a golf club. Lines on paper for me tend to make me feel like an artist like that of Michelangelo or like Leonardo da Vinci.

I agree with Rebecca that all writing is a ritual. It's up to the individual to define how much enjoyment they will get from the process. I also have no doubt that pleasure is different from person to person. If someone happens to like no lines, red pens or a calligraphy pen, then that's all that matters, its up to the writer. I swear I won't hold it against you either.

If you don't have a notebook here is a poem by one of my favorite poets that might get you started on your way....

Stolen Minutes

I steal minutes

when I can, take

them for my own use,

sometimes to sit

thinking my own

odd-angled thoughts,

sometimes watching

as a pencil searches

its way across

the untracked page,

sometimes listening

to that voice,

imperceptible

except to that part

of the ear

that feels,

more than it hears,

what is said.

-------------------------c.1996 RLB ( Chosen Words )

My dear world I now set before the task of sharing your thoughts on this. I will certainly be wondering what you have to say.

Good-night dear world

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting entry Mornae. I personally prefer A4 loose leaf pages for my writing and I much prefer to use a blue ink pen, preferably turqoise. I love to write with real ink as opposed to a biro but I have to admit my handwriting is very good. Oh, and like you, I prefer lines otherwise I write all over the place.
Have a good day. B. x

Anonymous said...

As for me I don't do any writing to warrant speaking of LOL. No diaries or writings left for others to read when I am gone. Helen

Anonymous said...

Thank You for sharing your love of paper and writing tools with us! I love to read how others observe this ritual. So, your a lines lady, and I'm not, opposites create great friendships? :o)
I enjoyed this visit into your world today, very much.
Thank You~
Rebecca

Anonymous said...

Thank you for even calling my question inpiring. Thank you, too, for sharing your wonderful thoughts about paper and pen!

Charley

Anonymous said...

Hi Monae... I don't keep a journal of any kind... never have, and probably never will... too much in my heart and mind that I don't want "displayed"... I wouldn't want anyone finding it, and reading it, and knowing what's on my mind from time to time... Just the thought of someone finding "it" completely stresses me out!!! ...  Besides, I'm a neat freak... so my writing is fairly slow, because it will bother me if I write too sloppy... which is also why I type faster than I write...  not to mention, I also speak real fast, and girrrllll, I'm I the talker!!!  I've been known to have long distance telephone bills well over $100s... I use to write letters to friends and family often when I was younger... but with the internet, everything is through phone or email now adays.  So your title the "Beauty of Paper" only applies to me in the toilet paper sense  ;oP ... And boy, does it apply to me ever so now since we just got our lil 3 year old Cory going through potty training!  LOL...  Well, I better stop rambling, before the 2000 character limit goes out on me and then I'm reduced to re-hashing everything I just wrote!... Your friend, Diane.