Thursday, October 20, 2005

I'm Breaking My Rule Again.......Sorry

Hello world......

I read something in the paper which I needed to share with you.......It also upset me.

As you all might know everything requires showing a government-issued photo ID from getting on a plane, renting a movie to buying groceries and many other things.

Not only do I have to show my photo ID at work but I also have to walk through a metal detector and my purse has to go through an x-ray machine. Recently the Georgia General Assembly approved legislation requiring that voters show a government - issued photo ID at the polls. At this time the voter ID law was put on hold. In a 123 page ruling issued Tuesday, U.S. District Judge Harold Murphy of Rome temporarily barred the state from requiring voters to show a government - issued photo ID at the polls. Murphy ruled only on the injunction, his strongly worded denunciation of the ID requirement law suggests that he may ultimately find it unconstitutional.

I AGREE with Judge Harold Murphy on his ruling. In a  court of law people are innocent until proven guilty. Everytime I have to show my photo ID especially when I step through the doors of my workplace I feel like I'm being accused of fraud or of being a terrorist. I have NEVER given the government or law enforcement officials a reason to distrust me in any way. When I am told to show my photo ID at work or outside of work I feel that I am being told to surrender my constitutional rights whether I like it or not.

Judge Murphy's decision only addressed the plaintiff's request for a preliminary injunction, which suspends the law until he decides whether it is unconstitutional. Meredith Bell- Platts, a staff attorney with the ACLU Voting Rights Project in Atlanta, said Tuesday that she looks forward to litigating the remainder of the case to secure a final judgement that the law is unconstitutional which violates the Voting Rights Act, the Civil Rights Act and the Georgia Constitution.

Being a young woman and a registered voter this matter affects me highly. In my opinionthe Georgia General Assembly IS WRONG !!!!

On a different note if you read Ellipsis's journal you will find that she reminds you to take to the great outdoors for a little fun. We all need to get out and soak up a little sunshine..........So drop by her journal and see for yourself......Here's her link:

Ellipsis

http://journals.aol.com/ondinemonet/Ellipsis/

You might also want to stop by an amazing journal titled

-Intimations-

http://journals.aol.com/wildflower1764/Intimations/

The following journals will certainly lift your moods and get you smiling........At least they did for me

Good-night dear world.....sleep well

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I cannot really comment on American law. But we have the same thing over here, lots of workplaces you have to show ID and now they are proposing to make us all carry ID cards with lots of personal information on them including a scan of your eyes.  People are arguing about it over here as well.

Anonymous said...

Yea!  Two of my favorite Journals!
Great picks!
V

Anonymous said...

hm, yes. I agree with you on this. I know what your feeling. thanks for those links. hope your have a good weekend

--love,meg

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your Colin Firth support.  Lord of Butter is just jealous!

And you go girl!