Thursday, May 11, 2006

A Recent Incident......

Hello Dear World....

How are you today ? I hope you don't mind but I wanted to share something with you.

Recently a Gwinnett County student was suspended for disrupting a lesson and threatening her teacher. School officials from Peachtree Ridge High suspended the student named Beth Anne Cox for five days after she sang and ill-advised version of "On Top of Ol' Smokey" in German class by singing "On top of Ol' Smokey, all covered in blood, I shot my poor teacher with a .44 slug.  In addition to the suspension, the school principal revoked permission for Beth Anne to attend Peachtree Ridge next school year. She will be allowed to return to school next week. The student said she was humming the tune when a classmate asked her about the song. She then sang a lyric about shooting a teacher. She said the lyric was not directed at her teacher, Phil Carroll. She has since apologized to him in a letter.

When Beth Anne suspension ends Monday, she won't return to her German class, she said Wednesday. It was reported that she can't go back to her class because she threatened a teacher. School officials referred questions to Sloan Roach, the school district's spokeswoman. Roach said she could not verify whether Beth Anne would return to the German class.

A few students wore T-shirts to school Wednesday with iron-on pictures of Beth Anne, said one of her friends. Another wore one of the shirts she'd made for other students. She said she planned to wear her shirt for the rest of the week. Roach said the principal's decision not to allow Beth Anne to return to Peachtree Ridge next year is final.

Her mother would like Beth Anne to graduate from Peachtree Ridge and wants assurances the suspension won't hurt her daughter's grades.

-------------------------

In my opinion I think that its horrible that she would sing "On top of Ol' Smokey, all covered in blood, I shot my poor teacher with a .44 slug." How would Beth Anne herself feel if someone sang a song saying "I shot Beth Anne Cox, all covered in blood with a .44 slug ? I don't think she would appreciate someone saying that type of thought towards her even if it was just a song. I think that an apology isn't enough for her at all. I don't think that she should have been allowed back into the school at all. A song that she sang was a terroristic threat directed to a teacher. I feel that no student should make such a comment even if its just a song or a joke. How could she sing something like that anyway ? I feel that her parents should discipline their daughter instead of defending her. I don't support the young lady in question. A teacher shouldn't feel threatened by a student in the classroom no matter the age. Beth Anne was reported to have made this comment "How afraid can you be of a 16-year-old?" I think such a person saying I shot a teacher with a .44 slug is disrespecful and harmful because the next student might actually shoot his/her teacher.

Beth Anne doesn't seem to take the incident seriously. I think that her actions should be taken seriously because the next incident such as this one could be even more harmful to the next teacher in a classroom. I wouldn't want my nieces to be in a classroom with a student like Beth Anne. Its a shame that the classroom have to be disrupted by such a song as she sang. I think that her conduct should be made an example to show other students that conduct such as hers will not be tolerated in a classroom activity. Its a shame that Beth Anne could have wanted to sing such words as shooting a teacher. 

-------------------

Am I wrong dear world ???

 

Good night ..........

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

what a brat..she should be kicked out.

Anonymous said...

It was a very insentitive act on Beth Anne's part.  What do we have to do to get across to these kids that, those type of lyrics are unappropiate.  Even a 1st grader should be taught that it's not ok to say, write or sing lyrics like that. With all the horrific things that have happened in our schools in the last 10 years, you'd think the students & their parents would get the message.  Hopefully, the school will not allow her back.  And she and her parents need to be counseled.  Maybe they should be reminded of the shooting at Columbine some years back.  Linda in Washington state    

Anonymous said...

Beth Anne got the punishment she so richly deserved ~ she should have known better with all the terrible things that have happened in the past ~ I am surprised they are letting back at all ~ Ally

Anonymous said...

Well.....it was insensitive of her and with all the Columbine type stuff going on we have to crack down on even the most innocent of things these days.  Ya never know which kid will be the one to crack.  How many times have we sang "Jingle Bells Santa Smells..."?  Someone will yell "freedom of speech"...and I will yell "freedom to live"!  LOL
Sharon - http://journals.aol.com/tpiez4me/CoastalComfort

Anonymous said...

I agree with you 100% Monae. Helen