Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Walden or Meme

Hello dear world

How are you ? I thought I would pop in for a little while. Chris over at inane thoughts and insane ramblings----> http://inanethoughtsandinsaneramblings.blogspot.com/ posed a very interesting question....."I have to wonder if the phenomenon of blogging is diluting the available pool of literary talent. Is blogging robbing us of the next great author ?" He also wrote "Twenty years ago, if someone wanted to write, they wrote. Whether on stone tablet, paper & pen, typewriter, or word processor, they wrote. His words got me to thinking which is probably never a good thing for me since I never make sense anyway.

Anywho....do you suppose my dear world that if Robert Louis Stevenson would have had a computer in which to blog that he would have written Treasure Island ? Perhaps even more my dear world that if Mary Shelley would have had access to a computer in which to blog that Frankenstein would have been born ? And what if Anne Frank would have had a computer in which to blog while she was in hiding in the Secret Annexe that she would have put words to paper at all ?? Just think what if Henry David Thoreau would have had a computer with him in which to blog, would he have written Walden ? or would he have done a little meme about "How To Build A Cabin ?" Or its possible that if Thoreau would have been distracted by blogging, maybe he would have written "101 Things To Do While Living Alone".

For me, writing in my journal/diary is an outlet. My thoughts are often scattered so I come here and write. I too have gotten feedback, encouragement and helpful advice and opinions. I try to write things that are in my head and simply as a little run down on my daily activities in my life. Sometimes I'm just plain silly.

I try to visit other people's blogs and journals so I can read how other people are doing in their lives, especially those people who take the time to come and visit me and give me the gift of their friendship. Chris also writes that "I believe it serves a great purpose. I just think that some great potential authors might never write that classic novel that is within them, because they are content to write in small doses on a blog."

I think that writers like Mary Shelley, Robert Louis Stevenson, Henry David Thoreau and Anne Frank even with blogs would have kept writing because blogs are both thought provoking and inspiring. I may still keep a handwritten journal but I am still in love with the blog.

What do you think dear world ??

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Blog or No Blog about it... if a writer is TRULY inspired to write a novel, poem, play, etc... they SURELY will!!!