Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Update....

Hello everyone

Good evening everyone !!!!!!! It was another day of work for me today. At the moment I am reading "new moon" by Stephenie Meyer. In the book Edward Cullen leaves Bella. Bella later on goes to find Edward and she finds him.

I do have to tell you all that yes"TOMORROW IS MY BIRTHDAY" and I will be 33 years old.

On a more sad note an 11-year-old named Jaheem Herrera committed suicide Thursday after according to his family relentless bullying at his school Dunaire Elementary School. Herrera's stepfather Norman Keene said the family has received overwhelming support from people in the community about the tragic death of Jaheem.

Jaheem's body was discovered by his 10-year-old sister Yerralis who is also a fifth grader. His family said that he was bullied relentlessly. The family reported that they knew that he was target of bullies but until his death they did NOT understand the scope of the bullying. His sister witnessed much of the bullying and many times rose to her brother's defense.

In an interview with WSB-TV Masika Bermudez also said that her son was being bullied at school. She said that she had complained to the school. Bermudez told WSB she talked to Jaheem's best friend about the situation last week. "He said, "Yes ma'am. He had told her that he was tired of everybody always messing with him in school. He was tired of telling teachers and the staff about what was going on. "They never did anything about the problem".

Earlier this month the suicide of a Massachusetts boy, Carl Joseph Walker-Hoover who suffered taunts that he was gay attracted national attention. He was also 11 years old. His mother also reported that he committed suicide in the family's home.

Jaheem was excelling academically and adapting to his new home. The family moved to the Avondale Estates area less than a year ago from St. Croix in the US Virgin Islands. Last winter his grandmother died from Cancer. She was living with the family at the time. His grandfather returned to St. Croix after his wife's passing. He is taking Jaheem's death especially hard. The family has planned a trip home in June. They'll be returning next Monday instead to bury their 11-year-old son.

A candlelight vigil will be held for Jaheem in memorial. I think that its sad that the 11 year old is gone. I'm sure that his family will NEVER be the same. I wish I could meet his folks and to offer them my condolences on their loss. Those who teased him and picked on him should be ashamed of their behavior. I do hope that there will be an anti-bullying program set up at this school in order to prevent this kind of thing from happening in the future.

So my dear world how has your week gone ? I do hope that all is well in your neck of the woods. I would like to say thank you all for visiting and I hope that you all feel free to drop in anytime and say hello to me. Also you may feel free to leave me any questions, comments and thoughts in my post.

Take care everyone.

3 comments:

Sybil said...

Morning Monae, Happy birthday for tomorrow...I am just about to leave for Scotland just half an hour and I must be away. Look after yourself and have a lovely day. I will be back Monday and hope to read all about your birthday celebrations.
Love Sybil xx

ADB said...

Happy Birthday, Monae.
I am very sad to hear of the kid that committed suicide because of bullying. The school is fully at fault for not acting on the warnings and complaints. Have seen this happening in my community here in Scotland, and it is inexcusable.

LYN said...

belated happy birthday!!