Thursday, February 5, 2009

Some Thoughts....

Hello everyone

Good evening all !!!!!!!! How is everyone these days ? I wanted to come by and let you know that I am doing fine. My oldest niece has been sick these last few days but she is working on getting better. I have been quite busy at work however.

Anywho....I have a few thoughts I would like to share with you. In the news I heard a few things about the Summer Olympic medalist Michael Phelps and I have to say a few things about him. I am sorry to say that in the news it was reported that he was caught smoking pot and I have to say that I am very much disappointed in him at this moment. I don't know if I have a right to say so but I think that Michael should publicly apologize to the young kids and teenagers who look up to him for his talents in the arena of swimming and of having become an Olymic medalist. I think that it is sad to think that he did not think about his behavior before deciding to go out and get caught smoking pot. I know that sometimes people make mistakes but I think that such an individual as himself has a responsibility to behave in a more appropriate manner than he did. He did not consider that young men and ladies who might have aspirations to become a swimmer or to train to go into the Olympics look up to him as a role model and as an athlete. Why is it that he does something like what he did recently and he says he's sorry when in fact I think that he is not sorry for having smoked pot but he is sorry for having got caught doing it. I wish that Michael Phelps would address his behavior by doing some volunteer work at drug awareness program's and in neighborhoods where he can see that he is looked upon as a role model and as a human being.

In other news I saw in a magazine that it was reported that the singer Jessica Simpson was called some really nasty names and a lot of it addressed her weight. I have to say that it is a shame that the magazine had to say that Jessica Simpson was overweight in the manner that they did. I think that the magazine should be called upon to print a retraction at the statements that they did. I also think that they did NOT take into consideration that there are young teenage girls and younger who look at that and think of their own self esteem. Anorexia and Bulimia are serious issues for such young women and even young men and to think that they could take a shot at someone's weight is shameful and wrong. In my opinion more celebrities who are women are much too skinny and perhaps suffering from an eating disorder. It is a shame that magazines have to make money in a way that hurts someone's feelings. I also think that a young lady might look at such a magazine and think that being skinny is the only way to be since a celebrity like Jessica Simpson would be considered overweight when I think she is NOT.

Am I wrong ???

1 comment:

Sybil said...

Monae, I am glad to see you back again. I agree with every word you have said today. It is long past time when people shoudl be made responsible for things they say and do that hurt others. It seems that SORRY is the hardest word for anyone to say...I wonder why ? it is such a short e word...but can mean so much.
Hope your neice is feeling better. I can sympathises as I have felt rather unwell these last few weeks. and now this week we have had such a lot of snow we are all a bit fed up.
Much LOve Sybil xx